- This event has passed.
From Hashtag to Hired: Using Social Media to Advance Your Career
October 15, 2015 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
At a Glance:
Recruiters, Instagram stars, GIF creators, and more share their tips for using social media to get ahead and get hired. Learn how to network online, build a personal brand, and use your online presence to land and excel in your job.
- You want to understand how 140 characters or less could help you get the job.
- You want to learn more about the possibilities of LinkedIn.
- You want to know whether recruiters are really googling you – and what they want to find.
- You want to build a strong personal brand online.
Who You’ll Meet
Senior Manager, Digital Marketing
Showtime Networks Inc.
Associate Fashion Writer
Dow Jones & Company / The Wall Street Journal
Associate, Talent Acquisition
Photo + Video Artist
- Emily Miethner
CEO + Founder
How it Works:
- Pros from across industries will share their stories of how taking advantage of social media helped them get their dream job, do better in their current job, or hire people through their favorite platforms.
- Then, you’ll join them in breakout sessions to ask your burning questions in a more intimate setting.
- Breakout sessions will be followed by open networking, so you’ll have plenty of time to meet all our speakers and your incredible peers.
About Our Speakers
- Alphonzo Terrell is currently the Senior Manager, Digital Marketing for Showtime Networks, responsible for leading digital strategy for the top programs on the network including Homeland, Shameless, Ray Donovan and Twin Peaks. He received his B.A. from Columbia University in 2005 and previously worked in marketing at Sony Music and Island Def Jam, in addition to having launched his own creative agency NewMerika, which served clients such as VH1, CBS, and ESPN. Alphonzo currently resides in Brooklyn, NY.
- Lauren Chan is the Associate Fashion Writer at Glamour, where she covers fashion news and trends for both the magazine and Glamour.com. Chan is a former plus-size model who joined Glamour from Italian Vogue, where she covered plus-size fashion for Vogue.it. She’s also spent time in various departments at the Council of Fashion Designers of America, Interview, and Cosmopolitan. She currently lives in Brooklyn, New York.
- Annie Herman works on Dow Jones‘s Talent Acquisition team in New York, helping to build teams across different business units. Outside of her work in recruiting and career coaching, Annie is passionate about fitness and wellness. On weekends, she enjoys exploring the city by foot, attending health and tech events, and trying new restaurants. Her favorite “”sports”” include brunching, Pinterest, and competing against her coworkers in fantasy football.
- Joshua Huff-Williams of Grey Advertising worked his way from Receptionist to Talent and Operations Manager at a small agency here in NYC, and made the move several months ago to be the little fish in the big, amazing pond that is Grey New York. He loves being the cheerleader for this award-winning agency as he seeks out new talent in the industry and mentoring the future of advertising.
- John McLaughlin is a New York-based artist interested in experimental techniques and combining different mediums to create his work.
- Sam Cannon is a Photo + Video artist based in NYC. She began posting her work to platforms like Tumblr and Instagram while still in college and now, one year out of school, is shooting full time.
Love FindSpark events? Become a Premium Member and receive 50% off every single event that you attend.
Dress: Business Casual
Tickets: $5-20 (includes pizza!) depending on your FindSpark membership level & career status
Special Thanks to Our Partner:
Thank you to our partner Wix.com for hosting us at the Wix Lounge. Wix.com enables you to build a free and professional online presence, just the way you want it. With an HTML5 drag-and-drop website editor, 100s of web apps, designer-made templates, and tons of features, Wix gives you the tools to launch and manage your online presence. So what are you waiting for? Sign up for a free Wix workshop today!
Still have questions? Check out our FAQs!
Q: Do you do group sales for colleges, organizations, and companies?
A: Yes we do! FindSpark events are a practical and fun perk to offer your students, alumni, and community members. Contact us here to get in touch.
Q: Will there be food at this event?
A: Yes! A majority of our events provide good old classic New York pizza and soda, including this one.
Q: What should I wear? Is there a dress code?
A: We always recommend business casual at our events.
Q: Is there a limit to how many events I can attend during the year?
A: Absolutely not. We encourage our community members to attend as many events as they’d like.
Q: Can I give FindSpark event tickets to friends and family as a gift?
A: Absolutely. You are such a great friend/relative for wanting to support your loved one’s career! Send us an email and we’ll make it happen.