- This event has passed.
Idea to Reality: A Side Project Boot Camp
August 13, 2014 @ 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Our Idea to Reality Boot Camp will enable you start executing your side project or business idea in a small, hands-on, group setting. The time is now.
It can be overwhelming and time-consuming to learn how to get something up and running.
This summer, you can spend your free time binge watching OITNB, or you could jump-start that side project you’ve been dreaming of doing. Whether it’s a food blog, freelance photography, or an Etsy shop, our founder Emily Miethner will walk you through the key elements of a side hustle. Topics will include:
- The first things you need to do to get started
- An overview of free and inexpensive small business tools
- Social media tips and tricks
- What to put on your website
- How to gain support using social media
- The importance of attending events and networking
- Setting up your project for future success
- A high level overview of legal factors to consider
Class size is extremely limited to ensure that you’ll leave with maximum insight and inspiration, so arrive prepared with questions. To get the most out of this workshop, we suggest you attend with a laptop, power cord, and some idea of what your side project will be. The event will be most relevant to those looking to start a web-based venture, or a side hustle that will take heavy advantage of the web as a promotional and distribution tool.
You will leave the workshop with:
- The confidence and know-how needed to get started
- Strategies for creating stand out emails and outreach
- A side project website you’re proud to show off.
- Knowledge of how you can use Twitter and LinkedIn to promote your project
- An incredible community of your super-talented peers who will support you during the event and beyond.
Class size is extremely limited to ensure everyone gets the individual attention and time they need to leave the event with solid understanding of the next steps they need to take, and taking some of those steps during the actual event.
- Must be an entrepreneur or side hustler
- Open to attendees with all levels of experience (from novice to pro), but you must have at least a basic business or side hustle idea you’re ready to work on.
- Student: $40
- Recent Grad: $60
- Young Professional: $85
Premium Members receive 25% off the listed price.
- Half-day intensive training
- Unlimited coffee & tea
- A snazzy new professional headshot for your LinkedIn & beyond
Are you ready to get serious about your project?
Not a side hustler? Here are some more Boot Camp dates for you:
- Students (rising sophomores, juniors or seniors): Tuesday, August 5th, 11am-5pm
- Young Professionals (0-5 years out of college): Tuesday, August 12th, 11am-5pm
Emily Miethner Founder, President FindSpark
Passionate about the power of relationships and their positive effect on our careers and happiness, Emily set out to help others find great opportunities through networking and social media. What began as Emily’s side hustle is today the ever-growing FindSpark community! Learn more about Emily here.
Nickie Samartino Programming & Community Manager FindSpark
At FindSpark, Nickie oversees event planning, marketing, social media strategy, intern and volunteer management, video content management, and blogging. As a producer by nature and a writer by talent, Nickie knew instantly that her work experience in the media would give her the edge she needed to do well at FindSpark. Learn more about Nickie here.
Special thanks to our partner: Wix
Wix.com enables everyone to design, publish and host stunning HTML5 websites. No coding, no previous design skills, just log in to Wix and start creating with our easy drag-and-drop website builder! In that spirit of encouraging creativity and enabling entrepreneurship, in 2010 Wix founded the NYC Wix Lounge. The Wix Lounge is a completely free co-working, event and exhibit space for creative professionals. Grab your laptop, pop into the Lounge and enjoy a productive work day, great networking opportunities, and amazing events. The Wix Lounge provides free support to New Yorkers, giving them the tools and tips for successfully launching and managing their businesses’ online presence. To learn more, please visit http://www.wix.com.
Delicious lunch is provided by: Bareburger
Bareburger is a micro-chain of organic burger restaurants that offer mouth-watering organic burgers and sandwiches, fresh salads, delicious shakes and sharable snacks in environmentally sustainable, eco-friendly locations. They believe organic food tastes better and is better for you, and that sourcing ingredients locally benefits our communities. The Bareburger menu features a variety of meats, including traditional beef, chicken, turkey and lamb; exotic options such as elk, bison, ostrich and boar; and mushroom, veggie and black bean burgers for our vegetarian and vegan guests. Bareburger also offers a number of savory and sweet salads, organic beer and wine, and kid-friendly cubby meals for the littlest diners. To learn more, please visit www.bareburger.com.